Question

WARFARIN
I WAS REFFERED TO A DIET-DOC IN MPUMALANGA BY MY DOCTOR, I HAVE BLOOD CLOTS IN MY RIGHT LEG AND WAS SENT TO A SPECIALIST AS WELL. MY PROBLEM IS THAT I NOW USE WARFARIN EVERY DAY AND HAVE VERY HIGH COLESTROL. I AM 24 YEARS OLD. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF FLAXSEED OIL PILLS WILL INTERFERE WITH THE WARFARIN. THEN I AM FOLLOWING A NEW DIET AS WELL AND IT IS A TERRIBLE NEW ADJUSTMENT.

I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD COMMENT ON ABOVE.

THANK YOU, ANNIE.

Dear Annie
Sorry to hear about your problems. I think you need to ask your dietitian about the inclusion of flaxseed oil first. You don't mention what kind of diet she/he has put you on so it is difficult to try and guess what kind of interactions may or may not occur. If the dietitian put you on a cholesterol-lowering diet then this should also help for the blood clots. The flaxseed oil is a source of alpha linoleic acid (ALA) an omega-3 fatty acid which should help against blood clotting and high cholesterol. Salmon oil capsules which are a source of DHA and EPA (the 2 most important omega-3 fatty acids) may be even more effective.
Good luck with the diet