Question

WATER CONSUMPTION
Good Day
I wish to clarify how much of water to drink per day.
I am a male, aged 55, weighing 105 kg.
I drink a litre of water before breakfast, followed by 2 litres during the day.
I dont drink tea and have an apple per day at lunchtime after my sandwich.
Am I drinking enough or too much water.
Tx
Yezdi

Dear Yezdi
Compliments of the season to you. In general, it is recommended that adults drink 2,5 litres of liquid a day. If you drink only water then having 3 litres a day should not be too excessive. The reason why excessive intakes of liquid can be harmful, is that the kidneys have to excrete all this liquid and during the excretion process large quantities of sodium, potassium, magnesium and even calcium can be lost to the body thus leading to electrolyte imbalances. Stick to your 2,5 litres of liquid a day and you should be fine.