Ask an expert

20 Jan 2003

After undergoing x-rays I have been advised that I have "water on both knees". My knees have always appeared swollen and the area around the patella is incredibly sore. As a result, I am
unable to excercise probably, and have therefore gained 5kgs in the past year. What treatment is
available for this disorder, preferably a tablet form and what recommendations can you make that could minimise the pain/inconvenience of the stiffness and soreness of the knees themselves?
Answer 314 views

01 Jan 0001

Jenny, the best would be to see an orthopaedic surgeon so that he can remove the “water” and send it for tests to find out what the cause is. In the meantime you can try taking an anti-inflammatory drug like Arthrotec®, Brufen®, Celebrex®, etc. and see if it helps. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.