Question

Water Retention
Dear Doc,

I really hope you can assist me. I'm suffering from severe water retention and it only get worse during my periods.

I was told to drink lots of water. I drink at least 2-3Lt water every day. I eat fruit for breakfast, and for lunch it will be cold meats, salads and wholewheat or wheat-free bread (limited to one slice). At night I will have a protein with vegetables and avoid any carbs. I drink about 5 cups of tea a day with milk and sugar. I'm a O bloodtype (if this is relevant). I exercise when I can - approx 2/3 times a week for 40min at a time.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Dear Reader
Water retention esp around the time when you menstruate is a relatively common phenomenon. I can only suggest that you consult your gynae so that he/she can check if you have a hormone balance and prescribe a mild diuretic for the bad times. It may also help to take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum plus additional magnesium (try Magnesite sachets). Don't overdo the water thing because you can actually drink too much water (esp as you are also probably ingesting other liquids) and this may wash important minerals like magnesium, calcium and potassium out of your system.
Hope you feel better