Question

Water Retention
I''m 39 and struggle with water retention. It is asif it has been getting worse and worse since I had my baby at age 35. When I talked to my gynea about it during my last check up in January he recommended that I take omega 3 and 6 which I have with no success. As a matter of fact, it has gotten worse.

Is there anything I can take to help me other then " water tablets"  as I have heard horror stories about the side effects.
Cyberdoc

Hallo EM Mom
Water retention is usually caused by kidneys not working optimally or heart disease (irregular heartbeat or heart failure). Other causes could be high cortisol or insulin levels or high progesterone levels. One should check kidney function (blood test) and look for signs of heart disease, check cortisol, progesterone and fasting insulin levels (blood tests). If no specific cause can be found, you can use a low dose of diuretic, but have your electrolytes checked about twice a year. You should try to cut down on salt intake if you think you eat a lot of salty foods.