Question

WEANING OFF VENLOR/EFFEXOR
Hi Cybershrink!

I have been on Effexor/Venlor 75 for nearly 3 years, initially for post operative depression and then, and still, for pain. I didn't want to go onto Effexor when it was first prescribed because of the negative press I had read but was told it was a lot ot HooHaa!

I want to come off the meds but when I miss a capsule and sleep I have the most incredibly vivid dreams and often talk during the dream; the dreams are mostly aggressive i.e. arguing with someone = usually family, and I wake up upset.

I am planning elective surgery for DDD in L3/L4,L4/L5 and the surgeons may also deal with some of the Stenosis - still have to have the pre-op work-up so I don't know just exactly what will be done. Hopefully this will get rid of the pain in my legs from pinched nerves, and I KNOW it is only "hopefully".

IF the pain is then a thing of the past I definately want to come of the med but I have this dread of these dreams!

Please tell me over what sort of period one is weaned off the drug
and how does one deal with this sort of "withdrawal" effect.
I take one capsule morning and evening.

I have asked my "shrink" the same questions and he says I have nothing to worry about - but I don't know what he knows and he doesn't have the dreams!

Hoping to get a detailed reply CS

Anxious Senior

Hi A.S. !
Regular readers will know I have never prescribed or recommended Effexor, for a variety of reasons. It sounds as though you need a re-assessment clinically, maybe as part of a second opinion, from a different shrink, if this is practical. If you are no longer sigbnificantly Depressed, then you may no longer ened the antidepressant ; and if an AD is needed to help in pain management, Effexor is not the ideal choice for that purpose.
And if your initial depression was post-operative, it'd be wise to seek this second opinion / re-assessment soon, prior to surgery, so a proper treatment plan can be worked out. Either way, pre-op does NOT sound like a good time to complicate matters by coming off a drug which seems to have suited you thus far --- maybe best at least to stay on it through surgery and beyond, before then asking our shrink about a plan for weaning you off it