Question

Week 21 & painful tummy
Hi Doc,
I know this is going to sound a bit crazy, but my stomach is actually sore. I'm actually very big for 21 weeks and my whole stomach is actually sore. Since yesterday I had this pain on top, not sure what they call it in english, but it's called krop in afrikaans, it was so sore that I actually had trouble breathing when I take my breaths too deep, last night it was fine, now I'm having the same problem. It was fine when I woke up this morning, but now it's starting again. another thing is that I get these cramps that you get when you've got an upset tummy or drank laxatives, I've got that too but not a heavy runny tummy. Sometimes it feels as if the baby is right on top, but then I feel this liitle kicks or whatever its called along my bikini line, I would really like to know why my krop is so painful. I'm going for my scan on the 12th Feb, but my next check up is only on the 3rd March. Please advise on what I should do.

Thank you.

There can be pain from stretching of the muscles of the womb as it grows and this may be what you are feeling. If you are having trouble breathing though, I would suggest that you phone your doctor and discuss it with him/her.