Question

WEIGHLESS & UNDERACTIVE THYROID
I joined weighless in December. I lost 2.8 kgs in my first week and then over the next three weeks (whilst Weighless was closed for the Xmas period) gained .6. I was devestated as I had been extremely good. Three weeks ago, after feeling really fatigued my doctor diagnosed me with underactive thyroid and has put me on medication. I still feel the same way and have been told to give it time. However, I am battling to lose weight and am beginning to lose heart. In total I have lost 3kgs and am desperate to lose the next 14kgs that I have to lose.

Please tell me will the underactive thyroid affect my weight loss. Should I be patient and when will the medication start taking effect.

Many thanks
Z

Dear Zan
An underactive thyroid can definitely affect weight loss and gain. It takes 3 months or more for the thyroid hormone replacement (Eltroxin?) to have its full effect. I would recommend that you stick to the Weigh Less diet which is a good balanced slimming diet, but that you start doing some exercise despite the fact that you feel so tired. Doing exercise like going for walks in the fresh air will not only stimulate your metabolism, but also help you to lose that weight. When you start feeling more energetic you can start doing more strenuous exercise like gym, cycling, jogging, skipping, swimming, etc, to promote weight loss even more.
Be patient and remember that weight lost slowly and steadily is much less likely to be regained.
Hang in there