Question

WEIGHT GAIN
HI DOC,
I AM MEDICALLY FIT AND IN GOOD HEALTH. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I EAT AS MUCH AS I CAN AND STILL STRUGGLE TO GAIN WEIGHT. I AM 42 MY HEIGHT IS 5FT 7 AND MY WEIGHT IS 54KG.
I HAVE BEEN CHECKED OUT BY MY DOCTOR WHO SAYS THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME MEDICALLY. HAVE YOU SOME TIPS ON GAINING WEIGHT.
REGARDS
INGRID

Dear Ingrid
Your present BMI = 18,7, which is low and just still within the normal range (18-25). It would be good if you could increase your weight to 64 kg. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function (if the dr has not yet done so), as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.