Question

weight gain
I have gained 6 kilos over period of 5 months. Active ie power walk Mondays 1 hour, gym 2x week weight training, The Firm slimming clinic 2 x per week. Gardening, home maintenence. Eat cup all bran for breakfast, apple at 10am, sandwich lunch, and chicken and veg for dinner. Drink min 2 litres water. No potatoes, extra bread, rice, no alcohol inweek and bottle dry white over weekends. I continue to gain weight especially on thighs and hips - what I am doing wrong??

Dear Gilliebean
It is possible that you are developing muscle tissue that ironically weighs more than fat tissue! If your breast, waist, and abdomen measurements have decreased in the 5 month period, this would indicate that you are losing fat, while gaining lean muscle tissue. If you continue to gain weight I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from a hormone imbalance (thyroid, insulin, female hormones). If you should be insulin resistant then please consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Keep up the exercise as this helps to control blood insulin levels.