Question

weight gain in pregnancy
I will be appreciated if I can be given an indication on +- how many weight you are suppose to put on during your pregnancy. In my first pregnancy I gained 20kg. I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my second and already gained 400g. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance
JA

Dear JA
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you started your pregnancy with a normal weight you can gain between 11,5 and 16 kg over the whole 9 months. If your weight was above normal, but not obese, you can gain 7-11,5 kg and if you were obese when you started you should only gain 6 kg. Your 400g gain over 1,5 months seems perfectly normal. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'.