Question

13 Oct 2009

Weight gain maybe hormone imbalance?
I have gained about 25kg over the last year. I do not feel that my eating habits and lifestyle was the factor to this. (even tried weigh less for 2 mnths no luck) I decided two months ago to do all I can so I started with 1 hrs a day on the orbitrek 5x a week and the slimeeze weight management plan (no food only meal replacements claims that you can loose 8 kg a month).

In 7 weeks I only lost 1.5 kg and when I took a break from the excersise and eating plan for 2 days to celebrate my wedding anniversary I was back to square one.

is there maybe another reason why I am gaining weight? I pick up about 1-2 kg every month with my period. I am 1.68 m tall. 32 yrs old and currently weigh 96.5 kg

Dear Susan
Your present BMI = 34,2 which is in the obese range, so it would be a good idea to try and lose those 25 kg you gained over the past year. When you weighed 71,5 kg your BMI was 25,4m which was just above the upper level of the normal range (18-25). I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see why you are gaining weight all the time. The slight change in weight during your period is normal and is probably due to water retention caused by hormone changes at that time of the month. But that you have steadily gained 25 kg over a year, is not normal and it is important to find out what is causing this gain. Let's see if you have a hormone imbalance (thyroid, insulin or female hormones) and then we can see what dietary changes are required.