Question

Weight loss and hypothyroidism

I have an underactive thyroid and i am over weight, I find it very hard to loose weight is there any diet you could reccomend? I do lead a fairly active lifestyle.

Dear Michelle
I trust that your dr has prescribed the necessary thyroid hormone replacement therapy such as Eltroxin for you? It is important to take the medication as prescribed and to have regular checkups to see if you need to have your dosage adjusted. To lose weight you can try one of the slimming diets on this Website (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' and see which diet appeals to you). A vital factor in weightloss if you suffer from hypothyroidism, is doing daily aerobic exercise, such as running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, working out in a gym or joining Walk for Life, for at least 30 min or more every day. The exercise not only helps to use up energy, but also stimulates your metabolism which may be sluggish due to the thyroid hormone deficiency.