Question

Weight loss but struggling with fatigue and spastic colon
I have been trying to shed those extra pounds for the last couple of months, but has not been that successfull. Recently I have been struggling with a spastic colon which makes my life hell. I would like some advice on my eating habits, because I think that might be the start of the evil. At present I have my breakfast (which consists of a Weet-bix and semi-skimmed milk) at 6 am. I have a sandwich, fruit and yoghurt for lunch and midday. I finish my working day at 16:30 and then head off to the gym. By this time I am absolutely exhausted. My mail meal is between 9 and 10pm. Unfortunately in the type of work I am in, I cannot have breaks in between and I usually just grab my sandwich on the run. It is also impossible for me to eat earlier in the evenings. My evening meal consists of pasta, chicken, stir-fry always with a salad.
I run at least 20 min a day on the tread-mill and do weight-training as well. But I cannot lose the weight. Please help.....

Dear Elle
I think you are tired because of trying to do to much and are stressed out by your job and are not ingesting sufficient energy to meet the high demands you are making on your body. The stress and irregular eating will also make the spastic colon worse. Is there any way in which you can organise your life differently? Cook ahead on weekends so that you can eat immediately when you return from the gym instead of 10 pm? I think you need to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) for the name of a dietitian near you), because you need someone to work out a schedule and a diet for you that a) gives you more energy b) helps the colon c) assists with weight loss. It may also be a good idea to go for a relaxation class or 2 with a clinical psychologist to help you to control stress.
Take care