Ask an expert

20 Aug 2007

weight loss diet
I am 28 yrs old, female. I managed to maintain a weight of +-50 kgs for the last 5 yrs. Married for a yr, have put on +- 5 kgs, and want to get rid of this weight. Also a vegetarian for the last 6 yrs. Have breakfast, 6 glasses water, fruit and 1 main meal. Does the yasmin (birth control) makes one gain weight. Is the water getting stpred in the body , cause the weight gain is on tummy, hips and thighs. Pls assist me with a simple diet to loose this weight. Will having water & fruit for 2 weeks do the trick.
Answer 333 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Yog'z
The use of female hormone products such as the pill can cause either weight gain or loss depending on the individual reaction. It is also possible that the use of the pill is causing water retention which would increase your weight. You would need to discuss these aspects with the dr who is prescribing the pill. Sometimes the use of a mild diuretic can assist with the water retention. I can't really judge if you are overweight or not because you don't mention your height in metres so that I can work out your present BMI. If you are very close to your ideal weight then losing 5 kg will be difficult. I also don't have a specific slimming diet for vegetarians. You would have to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for a vegetarian slimming diet. It may be a good idea to see a dietitian because from what you say your diet does not seem to be well balanced and I am worried that you may be developing deficiencies (calcium, iron, zinc, protein, omega-3, vit B12). Don't try losing weight if you are already at or below your ideal weight. Rather do targeted exercise to tighten and firm up the tummy, hips and thighs (ask Fitness Doc on this Website for a set of such home exercises).
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.