Question

Weight Loss Plateau
I've been a low calorie diet (with no exercise) for almost three months and have lost about 15 kilos to date. Problem is, I've haven't lost any weight in the last 2 weeks and I think the weight loss has slowed down. I have a treadmill at home and I'm thinking of doing 30 minutes of running each day. I'm positive this will help kickstart the weigh loss again but will it result in gaining weight as a result of building muscle? Seeing an increase on the scale is very discouraging for me.

Hi Lil

I think that having come this far on diet alone, the next step is regular exercise. So I'm 100% behind that idea. Remember though that it's very normal for weight loss to plateau, and it depends on what you are at now. Also, what you began at will affect your future weight loss. I know neither of those two things, and so it's very difficult to say for sure that exercise will help.

As for what you can expect from training, you might well see an increase in muscle mass, but that's good. It means your metabolic rate is going up, and that helps keep weight off. So my personal opinions is that you should not stand on a scale for the next three to four weeks, but rather just get out and do the exercise, exactly as you suggest. One thing, don't run every day at first - do it on alternate days to begin with, and give yourself a chance to adapt. Then, once that is done, you can run every day. But really, don't stand on a scale for the next month, and just exercise. It doesn't matter what you weigh, as long as it's in a normal range.