Question

11 Oct 2009

Weight loss struggle
Hi there,

I joined the gym in the beginning of the year and started paying attention to what I eat. Two months ago I joined another gym and changed my diet. I have still not lost any weight but gained instead. Could this be a medical condition that I' m unaware of or what am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Ronel

Dear Ronel
It is difficult for me to judge your situation because you do not list your present weight in kg and height in metres so that I can work out your current BMI. If your weight is already within the normal range then it will be difficult to lose weight and it may take a long time. If your diet is not energy-reduced so that you are ingesting less energy than you require per day, then you will also not lose weight. If you are developing muscle tissue from the exercise then you will weigh more even if you are losing fat. Then there are factors such as thyroid hormone deficiency, insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome that all hamper weightloss. Finally psychological factors such as depression can cause weight gain. If you think that any of these physical or psychological factors are preventing you from losing weight then please have a medical checkup and discuss these options with the dr. Depending on his/her findings we can then make the necessary dietary changes.