Question

Weight Loss Woes
Dear Diet Doc

I have a few questions which are really eating at me. Since February, I have been on Weigh Less. I had an excellent weight loss, having lost nearly 25kg's. But now, I am stuck between two brick walls and the weightloss is slowing. If i loose the one week, I gain between 200 and 600g's the following week. I don't know if Winter has anything to do with it. Do you have any advice for me please?
Another question I have, which is something my doctor doesn't really expand on, is Insolence resistance. Once a month I go for a blood sugar reading and it is normal, yet the doctor's insist I have a problem because of my weight. They also say I cannot go for blood tests to confirm this, because it is a clinical diagnosis and thousands of rands are wasted on blood tests. I am on glucophage, which makes me really ill. I am constantly nauseas and when it comes to eating, I cannot eat because I am feeling too sick. What am I to do?

Any advice will be great appreciated.

Dear Sunshine
Firstly congratulations on your brilliant weight loss of 25 kg - you are a bright ***star***. You don't mention how much you need to lose in total, but when you start getting closer to your goal weight, weight loss does slow down and you need to stick to your diet (perhaps be a bit stricter again) and if possible do regular daily exercise like going for brisk walks for 30 or more minutes a day. Exercise is still one of the most valuable aids to losing weight and also for controlling insulin resistance (IR). These measures should start you losing again.
As regards the IR, I would recommend that you consult a medical specialist such as an Endocrinologist (dr who specialises in hormonal problems like IR), or a physician to a) obtain a diagnosis if you have IR or not and b) to adjust or remove your treatment with Glucophage, esp if it is making you feel so ill. This is definitely a case where you need an expert second opinion and expert medical treatment.
Hang in there, you will start losing again.