Question

3h ago

Weight loss,rehab,osteoporosis,propriocepsis,increased muscle strength
Power-Plate is big news at the moment - how beneficial is it to training programme ? Do you know enough about research done on Power-Plate or have you tried it yourself ? Please give feedback

HI there

Often, with these kinds of things, one is quick to dismiss them as gimmicks that don't work, or can't possibly do what they say they do. WIth the PowerPlate, I'm not so sure. I think that there is some merit to some of the claims they make. And I must stress that it is some of the claims, only. On the website, they make all sorts of grand claims about weight loss, injury treatment, strength training etc.

So, I'm hesistant to dismiss it too quickly, because some of the principles which it claims to use are actually true. For example, the idea that a vibrating platform can help with injury rehab is valid, and it's actually already in use in certain physio practices (different forms of the same thing). There are quite sound reasons for this, mainly something called proprioception, where the body 'learns' how to control joints. This is true, there's no doubt about it. The real question is whether the power plate does this more effectively than regular exercise like walking, or running or regular pilates exercises etc.? That's not clear from the 'research' that has been done.

My other problem with the machine is that you will never find the original research or reasoning behind some of the other ideas. The cellulite claim seems very unrealistic and there is no way that fitness will improve using this machine only. The machine may be a tool to help, but ultimately, you can use a wooden bench and a tree stump to do some of the exercises. You don't need a fancy machine for this part of it.

FInally, you have to remember that when you read this site on the net, you are reading an advertisement and so it's very cleverly put together and biased to make you buy a product. Therefore, the conflict of interest is enormous and you can't trust this source. So for all it's claims about weight loss etc. I am sceptical, but for some others, like injury rehab, there may be more than just a tiny bit of truth.