Ask an expert

25 Jul 2011


Since i was about 18 now 24, i have had unhealthy image of what is thin, im so hard on my self im on a permanent diet and stress about every calorie i eat. But that doesn’ t stop me from binge eating every weekend then Monday comes i feel so fat i could die. If i don’ t eat health all week id put on mass weight, i eat better then anyone i know and im still 60kg and 16.1m in height its just not far. But besides that i would love to not obsess as a friend said that can stop you from losing weight.

Please advise thank you
Answer 382 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Kimmy
If as you say, you have an obsession with gaining weight, a distorted body image, are constantly dieting, stress about every calorie you eat and binge over weekends, then I seriously think you are suffering from an eating disorder. Your BMI of 23,2 is excellent and far, far from overweight. In view of your obsession and stress, which as your friend correctly says can hamper weightloss due to the production of stress hormones, I would advise you to consult a clinical psychologist(they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help ASAP, so that you can start living the normal life of a 24-year-old woman with a good figure.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.