Question

Weight of three year old
Hi doc,

My twins will be three years old in October. They are both quite tall (I am 1.74 m, and hubby 1.95 to give you an indication), I am not sure about their exact lenght though.

Can you perhaps indicate what their average weight should be at three years old? My son weighs about 14.3 kg's, and my daughter 15.6 kg's. My daughter normally eats well, with the odd sweet inbetween. My son however, refuses to eat certain foods. He basically lives of cereal, bread with cheese and fresh fruits. He also does not like sweets in particular. He will have one or two, and then leave the rest. They are both very healthy.

Dear Annie
The average weight for 3-year-olds (both boys and girls) is about 13 kg and the average height is approximately 90 cm. I would suggest that you measure the height of your twins to see if they are much taller than the average height. It may be a good idea to have the twins assessed by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess their weights and if they should be overweight provide a diet that will help them to lose weight. The dietitian will also do a diet history and make recommendations as to how to encourage your son to eat a more varied diet to ensure that he will grow normally. Rather take precautions at an early stage than to have the twins become overweight which will cause problems for the rest of their lives. In young children exercise is one of the most important factors to ensure that they do not become overweight. Encourage the twins to be as active as possible (swimming, walking, playing games and skipping) every day.