Ask an expert

14 Jan 2013

Weight problem
Hi Doc,

Iam a 32 year old female, 1.7m tall, I weigh 101kg. Yes i''m obese my BMI is over 30. I try to eat right. I jog for 5km every morning, i drink 2 - 3litres of water a day but with no luck of losing weight.

What is it that iam not doing right? Please help as this is starting to depress me.
Answer 214 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Tracy
Because you would need to lose 29 kg to get back into the normal weight range with a BMI of 25, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will have to assess your food intake and help decide if you need to be tested for hormone imbalances such as insulin resistance, thyroid malfunction and/or female hormone problems. She/he will also suggest a balanced slimming diet. If you find that this conservative approach does not help with your weightloss, then it may be advisable to consult the Call Centre of the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or visit their Website at for contact details to find out more about bariatric surgery such as the placing of an intragastric balloon, etc, to assist weightloss. Also discuss this option with the dietitian.
I do hope that you will now start losing weight.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.