Question

weight traing
Hi there, my name is nikki and I am a 21 years old female. I started training 4 months ago and I am really enjoying it.
I train 4 times a week, only doing 10min of cardio per session and an hour and a half of weight training. Is the weight training good enough or should I try to push up my cardio? (not very fond of cardio, but love weights. I also have shin splints which limits my cardio training.)
hope to hear from you soon
nikki

Hi Nikki

You need to increase your cardio since your heart needs a workout too! I would recommend you gradually build up from 10 mins to about 30 mins - but try to choose options you enjoy. Re the shin splints - there could be a problem with your training shoes not giving enough shock absorption? Alternatively, your bone density could be low - so it's worth checking this out too. Also, do you get adequate calcium in your diet, since perhaps you need a calcium supplement which could help to strengthen your bones if they are weak. If you live in Cape Town, I suggest you visit the Sports Science Institute for a shoe assessment and check-up. Phone 021 659 5644 for an appointment or a referral to someone in your area.

Good luck and keep up the exercising!