Question

Weird problem
Dear Doc

Could you pls give me some advice on the following. My hubby and I are trying to fall preg. I have calculated that I should be ovulating sometime between Thurs last week and Tues next week. So we've been having intercourse twice a day (once early morn and then again late at night) since last week Thurs. However, yesterday, my husband was unable to get an erection, so we just left it. But today again the same thing, he can't get an erection. Its the first time its ever happened to him in his life. He says its as if he has just completely lost his libido. Its quite frustrating because I am 36 and are trying for our first child (I miscarried 2 months ago).
My husband doesn't know if his inability to get an erection is a physical or psychological problem - what do you think is going on? Could he be "out of sperm" so to speak?? Its very unusual as normally he gets an erection very quickly with no foreplay.

Thanks for your help!!

Dear Maureen

My guess - performance anxiety or just being worn out! - You don't have to have intercourse twice a day - sperm can survive 3 days in the cervix during the fertile days, and if you have sex once a day during your fertile period this will be enough. Also be careful that sex does not just become a mechanical action and that you don't put too much pressure on yourselves to perform.
See http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps20.html