Question

Wet weather and paws
Hi, I own a Giant Schauzer who developes cracks on the cushion/pads of her paws. It sometimes results in bleeding and looks as if a little piece of the cushion broke off. This usaully occurs when it has been raining for a few days. I have a bottle of emulsion for dog eczema, with which I treat her paws when this happens. My theory is that it is caused by a fungal infection activated by the dampness of the cushions. I think the dampness also cause the skin on the cushions to become dry, which results in the cracking. Is there any lotion available that is equavalent to body lotion for humans, with which I can keep the skin on her cushion from becoming so dry?
cybervet

There are several possible causes here. While the cracks may simply develop as result of dryness, as you said, there are also medical problems that may result in this type of problem. These include autoimmune (rejection) type disorders, post distemper infection, and hyperkeratosis (thickening) for several reasons. Therefore, if it is repetitive, surgical biopsies and microscopic evaluation may give further support as to the actual cause. If it is only hardness and subsequent cracks, any ointment that results in softening of the footpads can be used, including the normal human ointment available from your pharmacy for dry heels, etc. Just be careful that some of these appointments are oily and your dog may leave oily footprints on the carpets. Sometimes, this problem can be quite frustrating to deal with effectively.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town