Ask an expert

25 Jul 2011

what are they entitled to
I split from my girlfriend as she was abusive.she claims to be three months pregnant with twins. How does one go about calculating maintenance and when does maintenance payments start before birth or only when children are born
Answer 388 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

A magistrate of the maintenance court can make an order for payment to the child’s mother, of money, plus interest, for:

- The mother’s expenses for the child’s birth; and
- Expenses relating to the child’s maintenance from the date of birth until the date of the inquiry.

Parents have a duty to provide for their children depending on their ability. If a parent does not live with a child, there is a legal duty to pay money to provide for the needs of the child.

Maintenance is the support (money) given by the person(s) held responsible to help provide food, shelter, clothing, medical care and schooling regardless of the nature of the relationship.

The amount of maintenance that can be expected depends on the social status of the family, their income and the cost of living.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
F: 086 572 8373
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.