Question

WHAT CAN I DO
HI

I AM WANTING TO EXERCISE TO HELP LOSE WEIGHT - WHAT EXERCISE IS BEST FOR ME :-

I AM A DIABETIC AND ABOUT 20 KILOS OVERWEIGHT - I HAVE TRIED WALKING AND RUNNING BUT MY ANKLES BURN EVERY TIME I WALK - MY BACK ALSO HURTS EVERY TIME I EXERCISE - I HAVE TRIED SWIMMING BUT LATELY THE WATER IS GETTING TOO COLD FOR ME TO GET IN AND WHEN I DO GET IN I CAN ONLY HANDLE 10 LAPS - I HAVE A BIG POOL - I DONT BELONG TO A GYM (TOO EXPENSIVE AND I GET HOME LATE FROM WORK) - I DONT HAVE A BICYCLE - SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST FOR ME

I REALLY NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO LOSE WEIGHT - THE ONLY PROBLEM BEING TO BECOME FIT I NEED TO EXERCISE BUT IT HURTS TOO MUCH TO EXERCISE BECAUSE I AM SO OVERWEIGHT

PLEASE HELP - I AM DESPERATE

Hi there

PLEASE don't give up hope - think baby steps!!! You need to exercise and to watch your diet.
I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and do the free home-based programme, (in the fitness page) "Shape up for Summer". I suggest you select the walking programme and start slowly. The programme progresses slowly and gradually your ankles will burn less - but you need to be prepared to experience a little discomfort - since it is all worth it in the long run. Leave running out of it for the moment and just stick to walking. Comfortable walking shoes are especially important for a diabetic, so please consider getting a good pair - they'll pay for themselves in the medical bills on which you will save!

I also suggest you write to Dietdoc to obtain some dietary advice. It might be worth actually consulting with a dietician for on session.

Remember, you are in control of the situation and only YOU can change it for the better.
Good luck!