Question

what causes trichotillomania?
Dear CyberShrink

I think I have a condition called trichotillomania. I have been pulling out my hair since I was 13 of 14 and I am 33 years old now. Please give me informarmation on this condition as I am afraid that my daugter will also inherrit this disorder she is now 12 years old. What can I do to prevent this and what can I do to cure myself.

Corne`

Dear corne,
Check the archive of this Forum, as we've deal with this problem several times. A psychologist could help you break this bad habit ( which is all it is ) relatively easily, so there's no need for you to continue to be stuck with this. The procedures of Behavior Therapy, which any psychologist ought to be able to work through with you, are excellent at helping one to unlearn bad behaviours, and break bad habits like this. It tends to start as an accidentally discovered soothing thing to do when one is eling anxious, but then tends to take over, as habits do. The psychologist can therefore also help you to recognize whatever has ben trigering your feelings of anxiety, and to adopt better ways of dealing with it when it arises.
And while this isn't an uncommon condition, so it may trn up more than once in any family, by sheer chance, there is no indication that it is inherited, so there's no reason to expect your daughter to take up this hobby.