Question

what determines beauty??????
Hi what makes a face beautiful?
Some people have nice features, but aren't good looking, while others have relatively bad features yet are attractive?
So what determines attractiveness???
Plastic Surgeon

Dear bbq,

This is an extremely philosophical question, which is not the purpose of this site. Nevertheless, it is a question which we as plastic surgeons deal with quite often.

Certainly the most important aspect, as far as I am concerned, is whether the individual is at peace with himself - I would never suggest or do plastic surgery for a patient who wants to please someone else. That is where the saying "real beauty comes from within" originated.

It is important that one can live with the features you were given by God, and be truly happy as a human being with those features. Many people are physically very attractive in the eyes of everyone else, but are unhappy psychologically, and certainly no plastic surgery will ever correct that.

This is what makes our job so complex at times - we cannot only evaluate a person physically, but before any cosmetic surgery can be undertaken, we also have to take a patients psychological strength and make-up into consideration. We deal with a whole, unique human being, and what works for one patient, will not work for another.