Question

What excercise?
Hi Doc. I had abdominal op in November, body is still sore and very tender. The only excercise I do is walking. Hubby wants us to go to gym. What excercise would you advise?

HI Daisy

Well, walking is still a good form of exercise, even at the gym, so I'd encourage you to continue doing that. I'm guess from your question though that you have not yet tried to do things like cycling or swimming. If you are at a gym, then those are two very good ones to try out. Things like aerobics are probably a little too high intensity and involve a bit too much impact considering that you are still a bit tender, but it's quite possible that in a while, you will be able to do the low impact classes. Then as for the weights, this depends very much on what you are feeling like - you should let pain and symptoms guide you in this regard. It may for example to be possible to use all the weight machines for arms and legs, but not do any situps. And that's fine. My only advice there is that you should make sure you are using very light weights, at least until you start to learn what you are capable of. Then you can start building up and increaseing the weights. But for now, I'd say you should just be cautious with weight training, and just do the exercise with minimal resistance.