Question

What foods contain iron
Dear Doc

A friend of mine lost a lot of weight by not eating meat. Is this a good idea? I don't think that I would give up all meat, but I wouldn't mind not eating red meat. My dad said that meat contains iron, and I that I should think carefully before cutting out. Is this true? If so, what else could I eat to make sure that I get enough iron?

Sherry

Dear Sherry
Your friend probably lost that weight because she cut out fatty red meat, chicken skin, etc. The idea is to still eat small amounts of meat, chicken, etc, but to eat very lean meat with all visible fat and skin cut off and not to add fat while cooking. Meat one of the best sources of iron, and vit B12, but you won't develop a deficiency if you still eat white meat (chicken and pork) and/or fish, egg yolk, and cheese, plus legumes and dried fruit.