Ask an expert

21 Nov 2005

What is happening
Hi there i am a sixteen year old boy and i have problems i do not know who i really am i am alwyas paranoid and have such a complex about myself last year i attempted to commit suicide but fortuanlty was found by my parents after taking an overdose and was immeditaly admitted to hospital where i was treated for depression i was put onto anti deppressants and have since gone off them as it was a once off dose. I feel that i am fallinf into the same pool as before and i am constilenlt trying to please everyone else and be the person everyone lese wants me to be and trying to please everyone and putting everyone before myself i am always worrying constiently and am an utmost perfectionists how do i just be me and be happy without worrying about everyone else like i will ask the same person the same question numerous times like "are you my friend " just to make sure i have thought about taking my life again and still ahev those blue days when i feel that there is no point being here pleas help me just to be me
Answer 353 views
Teen expert
teen expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Chad,

it does sound like your depression is still around and that you need some help with this. I am not sure what you mean by a once off dose of anti-depressants as you normally have to be on them for at least 3 months to be of benefit. You may need to consider going back on them.

I also think it is very important to let your parents know that your mood is sliding again and that you would like some help with it, as just trying to smile and please everyone else is not going to help you. You have quite a judgemental view of yourself and if you went to see a Clinical Psychologist it would give you the opportunity to explore why this is happening and to begin making important changes in how you see yourself, and in turn improving your mood.

Please act now and don't let your mood get so low that you think about harming yourself. You are worth so much more and you need to let your parents know how you are feeling and that you want some help.

Feel free to post another question if you need to.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.