Question

What is it?
My fiance has been diagnosed as having 'anxiety'.
What exactly is that, what are the symptoms and how do I handle him when he
has an 'anxiety' attack?

Dear Jasmine,
I think most people understand what we mean by anxiety, and in many circumstances, where it is in proportion to a reasonable cause ( like the way you feel the day before a major exam ) it's normal and sometimes even useful. We talk of an Anxiety Disorder when a person becomes anxious even when there's no relevant reason present, or gets anxious to an extent out of all proportion to any cause. Elsewhere within Health24, you'll find a section ( check back at our main page ) wich gives access to short descriptions of a wide range of health problems, including their symptoms and treatments, and this includes a section on Anxiety Disorders. Having this section means we don't have to repeat such basic materials so often in response to questions.
When he has an Anxiety attack, well, he should ask his therapist / doctor for advice on how he should handle such an attack, and then discuss this with you, so you can see how best to help him do so, as the best focus is on him recognizing such periods of worsening anxiety himself, as early as possible ( before they get too severe ), and helping himself to relax and get calmer, raher than gving in to the feelings of anxiety. Your support to help him do this, will be helpful.