Question

what to do
my husband is asthmatic and a smoker. He is on a treatment pump which he is supposed to take twice a day but he always forgets (he blames me as I don't give it to him)

Plus he puffs up all day, sleeps with a CPAP machine at night as he has sleep apneoa. Last night he had a bad asthma attack - we took him to ER and they gave him a neb and oxygen which did not help so they took xrays as well.

The thing is -- he KNOWS what smoking is doing to his already existing lung problems! He doesn't take his treatment meds -- how do I get him to catch a wake up?

He has been through this before and said "oh this is his wake up call and he will quit etc --- he quits for 2 weeks and then is back at it. He blames work stress but I think that is lame.

Our little boy was so traumatised and stressed out last night from it all - he puts himself to bed at 6:30 (he is 5) -- he just said "mommy I want to sleep in your bed" - this was at 9 when we got home. He was asleep before his head even hi the pillow.

While I am worried about my husband I am as mad as a snake. Everyone has spoken to him. I've asked him if he wants to walk around like those people on liquid oxygen dragging around those tanks and he just grunts!

HELP ME! (and I wont be able to get him to go for any kind of therapy as he says people dont need that, they are stronger than that --- sez he who smokes)

Please also don't say anything nasty about him in the replies guys, I really came here for support and help from the people and CS that want to help.

I feel as though I am hanging on by a thread!

You can help, but it is HIS task to remember to use his treatment --- and there's not a lot of sense in treating asthma if he continues to smoke --- he should join Smokenders, and see a good shrink for advice on CNT counselling and Zyban, to help him to quit. HE really needs to be strongly encouraged to see a good local shrink and the stopping smoking should be a number one priority. As kat says, focus on his need to be aware of the impact on his chid ( who will also be suffering the ill-effects of dad's second-hand smoke ).