Ask an expert

21 Jun 2011

What to do?
I have been in a relationship for 5.5 years, with great times and not so great times, not too much inbetween. We hit an extremely rocky patch and I was constantly in tears and he has somewhat of a temper. two weeks ago it was te cherry on top and I left! We have seen each ther briefly inbetween and spoken every now and then. He stated after this he wanted to go for dinner and changed his mind twice in a matter of minutes and proceeded to tell me he wants nothing to do with me. The very next day, same thing happened! This time more with horrible name calling, telling me to shove my family and telling me that this is going to be horrible so best I be prepared! The very day after that he calls and says he wants me to move bak into our place and realises all the horrible things he has said and done the past two weeks as well as all the times before, he will do anything to make it right. I asked him why only now!? Is it becasue they are genuine or just a bruised ego? I also asked how he/ we could make things right with my family.
My family says this is a no go area and I must stand my ground and stay away, my heart and head are so so torn and I do notknow what to do! I was also told by the family that should I go back, then that is my support structure (being them) gone! Please, please help me shed some light on this from an outside perspective. I am currently 26 years old too
Answer 337 views

01 Jan 0001

If you have any interest in continuing with this relationship ( though, obviously, on a much better basis than at present !) then suggest you start meeting at a couples counsellor to sort out what on earth is going omn at present, which is clearly not pleasant for either of you.
I don't see why the family ought to be involved at this stage. If the two of you cannot resolve whatever these difficulties are, you won't get back together whatver the family thinks or wants ; if you can sort things out, then you can sort out the family issues later.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.