Question

WHAT TO DRINK?
I watch what I eat during the week and know more or less how much energy I'm taking in but when choosing something to drink (coffee or milk wise) on a menu in a coffee house it becomes difficult because I have no idea what goes into each drink. Nobody seems to serve fat free Mocha or Latte. Is it best to just have a decaf cappuccino or is there something that supplies less energy but is healthier out there on the menu's that I don't know about? (a warm drink). I know there's a cold mocha called a Frappe Mocha which is made with crushed ice and powder. Once again I don't know what's in this powder and how much of it goes into the drink. 200kcal or 400kcal - this will obviously make a difference to a weight watcher.

Dear Mocha
Unfortunately the SA Food Tables don't list beverages such as those you mention. I would guess that they basically contain milk powder (skim or whole) and flavouring agents which may or may not contain sugar. Let's say they contain whole milk powder and they use 1 Tablespoon plus 2t sugar, then the energy value would be 478 kJ or 114 cal. So this would not be too high an energy value. If you have a favourite coffee house, I would suggest that you a)ask them if they can start serving low-fat or skim milk in their hot beverages b) who makes the powder they add to these drinks, so that you can phone the company to ask them what the energy content is.