Question

What to eat?
Dear DietDoc

I am currently on a very intense training program and was wondering if you could give me some advice about eating correctly (Or know of any good books that are available)? There is so much info out there that one seems to get lost in it all.

My training program consists of going to the gym twice a day, three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday leaving my weekends for additional rest days). I do a swim session at lunch times and then cardio and weights in the evenings. I don't feel that I am eating incorrectly because I don't feel tired or have any kind of food cravings but I would just like to make sure that my diet is correct for me. I am not taking any supplements beside drinking Isostar for the cardio sessions.

My daily food intake consists of the following,

Breakfast - Bowl of all-bran
Mid Morning - Fruit (either banana or apple)
Lunch - Bagels with cottage cheese and ham
Mid Afternoon - Fruit (either banana or apple)
Supper - Either tuna pasta (on my training nights) or Chicken/Salmon with rice and vegetables. I also have a low fat yoghurt for desert.

The weekends are pretty much the same but I don't eat that much because I am not training at all. I will have grilled bacon and fried eggs (don't use oil when frying. Just a very good non-stick pan) once on some of the weekends for breakfast. I drink 1.5l of water during the day or more if I feel the need to. I don't drink caffeine at all and I don't drink and smoke either.

As I said previously, I don't feel that my diet isn't correct but I am always told by people that it is important to keep ones metabolism up to prevent any lows or cravings and I am looking for some decent reading material that will help me choose the correct food types when I decide to change my daily food routine.

Many Thanks in advance.

Dear Steven
Basically your eating patter is ok, but there seems to be a bit of a lack of extra calcium-containing foods like milk - use the low-fat variety to boost your calcium, B2 and protein intake - and it may be an idea to add a bit of extra carbohydrate because you are really training very intensively. The exercises you do will in any case stimulate your metabolism, so it is not necessary to take all kinds of ergogenic aids. The odd additional egg may also be beneficial to supply a bit more iron - according to the SA Heart Association it is fine to eat up to 4 eggs a week. If you click on 'Diet' and 'View old Diet & Food site' you can read the articles I wrote on 'Tired athletes I & II' and 'Balanced Diet I-IV' which should provide you with the necessary info.
Keep up the good work