Question

What to eat to gain weight
I'm struggling to put on weight and need help as to what I should eat to over come this problem. Some have advised me to eat a lot of fat and now my question is what food contains fat and what else besides fat and sugar will help me on this one.

I visited my family in Zim this past holiday and my dad told me not to visit the family until I have put on weight. He is worried about me.

Please HELP ME!

Dear Tilly
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about this and other Nutritional Supplements. I would not advise that you start to eat saturated animal fats indiscriminately as this can be bad for your cholesterol levels and cause heart disease and certain types of cancer. You can use full-cream milk and dairy products, but don't eat masses of meat fat, butter, etc. Rather have mono- or polyunsaturated oils and margarine plus nuts to provide you with 'good' fats.