Question

28 Oct 2009

What to expect on a 1ST VISIT TO FERTILITY CLINIC
Hi i am 27 have had 4 terminations last 1 in 2004.I am HIV+ and my husbnd who is HIV -and i now ready to have a family.My Hiv specialist has advised me to see a Dr in the fertility clinic just so to check if terminations had to bad effects.My question is what type of test am i going to do,what questions should i as and bare in my this will not be covered by my medical aid so its cash.

Dear D’s

Fertility treatments are no covered by most medical aids. Your first visit will entail a thorough history and examination and this will include a pelvic ultrasound. Your CD4 count and viral load would need to be assessed, as your best chance of trying to conceive a baby is when you have an undetectable viral load and a high CD4 count. Your husband’s semen analysis will need to be assessed and from your side hormonal blood tests would need to be taken and assessment of the female anatomy as well as patency of the fallopian tubes will be required. Once all the examinations and tests are done then your fertility specialist will advise you as to your best form of treatment in your particular case.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo