Ask an expert

07 Jan 2003

what type of medical practitioner should I consult for my problem?
Hi CyberDoc

I am a 23 year old male. I have a slight pectus deformity: my sternum is tilted, and one side of my chest appears larger than the other. This does not cause any health problems (it does however cause my left collar bone to dislocate when I lift my left arm), and my concerns are mostly aesthetic. I have consulted a thoracic surgeon who couldn't offer my any help or advice other than to tell me to "get over it". I have been doing a bit of research on the web and have come across various methods (surgical and non-surgical) for correcting the deformity. Unfortunately the web pages that I have been reading are all based overseas and I am unsure of who I could contact locally. What type of medical practioner would be most helpful: orthopaedic surgeon, thoracic surgeon, osteopath, other? I am not sure of the ethics surrounding the matter of recommending a specific practitioner but I would appreciate it if you would even just point me in the correct direction or treatement.

Thank you,
Answer 337 views

01 Jan 0001

Scott, maybe the best place to start would be by consulting a plastic surgeon. If he isn’t up to it, he will be able to refer you to someone who can. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9249 votes
66% - 17779 votes