Question

22 Apr 2006

what's wrong?
I'm a 17-year-old girl. Lately I started running (half marathons ect.). I eat very healthy, drinks lots of water and sleep enough. I gladly lost about 10kg. (I'm 1,7 m tall and weigh 49 kg) Now everyone is asking if I'm anorexic. I don't think I am! I like the way I look now: athletic, but feminine, but lately I realised that my my hair is falling out more than usual, I haven't had my periods for 4 months now...
I don't want to be overweight again, but am I healthy now? What's wrong with me? (P.S. I'm NOT anorexic, because I still enjoy food ect.)

Dear ii
You may not be anorexic but you are definitely underweight. I know the hollywood stars look like this but it is unhealthy. The fact that you stopped menstruation tells me that your body does not even have enough fat to make your estrogen work properly. Your weight should be between 55 and 60 kg's for your length. YOu don't have to eat unhealthy foods, maybe you need a proteien shake extra per day just to put back what your body is using up with the running. Best is still to measure your fat % at a gym ( I know you can do this at Virgin Active) must be between 24 and 28%.