Question

wheat
I am 16 years old an in a hostel. I can't eat wheat but nearly everything has wheat in. It is difficult in the hostel because I don't know what foods have got wheat in them. Can you please help me with what kind of foods have wheat in them and also what kind of food I will be able to eat to make sure that I don't eat wheat taking in consideration that I'm in a hostel. Maybe like easy to manage foods that I can take to the hostel. The hostel does have a refrigerator.

Thank You so much for your help!!!

Dear Hope
Wheat allergies are extremely tricky to handle because as you so rightly say, most foods contain some or other form of wheat. Basically the following foods are safe to eat: meat, fish, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, milk and dairy products which have not had wheat added to them (e.g. fish fried in crumbs or batter, or processed meats like cold cuts and most sausages, except real boerewors), fresh fruit and vegetables, jams, honey, nuts, peanut butter, and rice. It's the bread, etc which is a problem and I would suggest that you take wheat-free rye bread, rice cakes, etc with to the hostel. You should also discuss this problem with the head of your hostel and the head of the catering staff. Get an official letter from your doctor to back you up. If you click on 'Diet' and then on 'Old Diet & Food site' and read the articles devoted to 'Allergies' for some additional info.