Question

22 Apr 2006

wheat grass
Hi doc, I am allergic to wheat and i hear that wheat grass is a very good antioxidant, immune system booster, allergy 'killer', etc. my sis and gran take it and we see reasults in them. Is it ok for me to take wheat grass? I read in a website that its ok coz wheat grass is a young wheat plant and does not have gluten. Please advise.

Dear Glade
Despite the fact that the label on the wheat grass product states that it does not contain gluten, I would caution you not to use this product because it could cause a severe reaction in anyone suffering from wheat allergy. If you require antioxidants, eat plenty of fruit and vegetables (for vit C, beta-carotene and bioflavonoids) and use olive or canola oil (for vit E) and drink black or green tea or red wine (for ubiquinones and bioflavonoids).
Take care