Question

Wheat intolerance
Hi.
I have been tested and apparently I have a high intolerance towards wheat and dairy and in a lesser sense, an intolerance to peanuts and shell fish.
I just had Nando's rice and chicken strips and I got the same reaction as when I have bread. Is this the rice? Is rice a form of wheat then?

Dear Kien
Generally speaking individuals with wheat intolerance are supposed to not react to rice, which is used as a substitute grain in wheat-free diets. Rice and wheat are two very different grains and plants. The Nando's meal may have been contaminated with wheat, dairy, or peanuts, thus causing the reaction. I do not think you were reacting to the rice. Until you have sorted out carefully which foods and food components you are allergic to, I would urge you not to eat take-away-food. I trust that you have consulted a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a diet that avoids all the offending foods? If not, please do so as it can be dangerous not to know which foods to avoid, esp if you have peanut allergy which can be fatal. To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'. You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .