Question

When do I stop hopeing?
I have never been on a pill. I have been for treatment but after 35kg and lots of tears decided to stop with all of this. We have been married for 4 years and are both 38/39. Should we give up hope. I do not ovulate and my husbands sperm count is low. We so much want kids but it seems inpossible. I have lost 15kg and are working very hard to loss the rest hopeing this will help with our problem.
fertility expert

Dear Waiting

The main issue here is the underlying cause of the ovulation problem. This needs to be established first and foremost before any evaluation of possible outcome can be made.

Should the ovualtion problem be related to a decreased or poor ovarian reserve, than it might pose a formidable problem to the fertility issue.

Problems such as premature ovarian failure or premature menopause should be dealt with as soon as possible. On the other hand if the problem is simply that of polycystic ovarian disesaes or other causes related to impaired ovulation, then the prognosis is much better and I would then encourage you to proceed with more advanced forms of fertility treatment for e.g; ovulation induction and IVF.

The status of your fallopian tubes also becomes a very important issue should you consider a much more cost effective method of treatment such as IUI (Intra uterine insemination).

It would also be valuable to have an idea of what the actual sperm parameters really are before an assement of your fertility potential can be made.