Question

When to stop use of contraceptives
Good day,

I am currently on Minerva and my husband and myself have decided that it is time to start a family.

At which part of my cycle should I stop the contraceptives? e.g. after period, before period, anytime?

I have PCOS but we would like to try without fertility first.

Regards,

Dear Cherise

The most appropriate time is to stop the pill with the onset of your next period. I would strongly recommend the use of urine LH ovulation monitoring kits such as Clearplan beginning from day-9 or day day-10 so as to establish when ovulation is occurring. In the initial few cycles it may be necessary to use more that one ovulation testing kit back to back since ovulation may occur a little later than expected and this should be charted for future reference.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim