Ask an expert

10 Jan 2005

Where do I find a psychiatrist or Clinical Psychologist???
Hi Dr,

You wrote back to me regarding my irrational fear of HIV, but where would I find a psychiatrist or psychologist specialising in this disorder. If you cannto refer me to someone specifically, is there an institution or similar i can call to get a name and number.

Answer 285 views

01 Jan 0001

Actually, you don't need a shrink specializing in the narrowest aspect of your problem --- ANY good local psychiatrist or psychologist should be able to help you, as irrational fears are quite a common problem we deal with, even if the precise thing people fear varies somewhat. Your GP should be able to recommend a good local shrink, from his / her experience of other patients.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9250 votes
66% - 17785 votes