Question

WHERE SHOULD MY HEART RATE BE?
I understand that a person burns fat when you are exercising at a lower intensity. I'm 25 years old, weight 54kg (female). If I want to burn fat and not carbs, where should my heart rate be. I usually exercise (cycle indoors) for 20 minutes and burn about 260 calories. My heart rate in that time ranges from 90 - 170 depending on what level the bike puts me. I was told to keep my heart rate down to 120 (not above this) if I want to burn fat, so now I do those 20 minutes but have added another 30 minutes where I cycle keeping my heart rate around 120 and burn about the same amount of calories (230). Will this help to burn fat

HI Kings

Your info provider is not entirely correct!!!
Research indicates that higher-intensity workouts burn more fat (more grams per minute) than lower-intensity workouts. It is true that at lower intensities, a higher percentage of the energy requirement for the workout comes from fat kilojoules. However, at higher intensities, you are going to be burning more kilojoules overall, which means more fat kilojoules in total than in the low intensity workout. Furthermore, recent research shows that during a high intensity workout there is increased activity of a fat-burning enzyme (HAD), which further promotes fat metabolism, as well as some suppression of appetite and craving for carbohydrates rather than fat. Also, after a high intensity workout, your metabolic rate stays elevated for longer “after-burn” – meaning that some fat burning occurs even after your exercise session.

Good luck!