Question

white-heads
hi there!
hope u can come to my rescue... i have lots of white heads,tried steaming my face,then cleansing..nothing seems to help.

please assist
thanking you in advace
Nikki
Pharmacist
pharmacist

Blackheads and whiteheads are known as comedones and can be numerous on the face and shoulders. This condition can be improved with good consistent skin hygiene. However, treatment of whiteheads and blackheads takes time.
You can consider a Benzoyl peroxide containing product (available over the counter). This has an antibacterial effect and may be used for a mild case of comedones or to help prevent formation of others.
A stronger and very effective option (prescription) is Tretinoin (Retin-A, etc). Isotretinoin (Roaccutane) is very effective for comedones when used properly, but is not usually prescribed for mild acne of either type.
Those in the know suggests a once-a-day cleansing with a mild soap or facial scrub to aid in the removal of excess sebum and dead skin cells. The recommend that an oil-based makeup should not be used since these can contribute to the buildup of oil in the follicles. Water-based makeup (some labeled as non-comedogenic) can be used instead.