Question

White Nails
Dear Doc,

I was just wondering, my nails have a white nail tip (looks like I had a french manicure), white-blueish nail bed, pink "half moon" line just under the nail tip, and only have a white half moon on the bottom of my nail bed on my thumbs. I also have very short nail beds. One women that works in a heatlh shop suggested that I should check myself out for cirrhosis or there may be some other trouble with my liver. My nails always looked like this. I also have very fine hair.

Help, hypoalbuminaemia (too little albumin in the blood) may cause whitening of the nail plates. A common cause of hypoalbuminaemia is cirrhosis of the liver, but I doubt that it’s the case with you. You would have had other symptoms especially as it’s been there for a long time. If you’re still worried the best would be to see your doctor as other diseases like anaemia my also cause the same problem. Good luck.